You are hereContingent Travel Rules / While At Philmont
While At Philmont
WHILE AT PHILMONT
• Youth crew leader is now in charge of all crew activities. Advisors may only offer input as appropriate.
• Emergency phone number is in your guidebook and listed on the parent’s information sheet.
• Crews must remain together from arrival to departure.
• Tents and tent mates at base camp are assigned as if you are on the trail.
• Upon arrival at Philmont all crew items, such as carry on bags, will be stored in the assigned crew locker at base camp.
• Behavior on the trail and around Base Camp is as follows:
• Ask your adult advisor for permission before leaving area, around Base Camp or on the trail
• No walking away from crew/contingent alone. Use buddy system
• Carry your fair share on the trail
• No running in Base Camp
• No splitting of crews. Crews must eat together while at base camp and on the trek.
• The crew pays for any lost or damaged gear issued at Philmont not council.
• All stoves and fuel bottles should be packed inside an airtight container (ziplock bag) while in packs. It is not fun to find that a fuel bottle leaked while in your pack. One fuel filter funnel and pour spout is necessary gear for fuel bottles.
• Parents are encouraged to write. Allow three days mailing time. Address is included on the parent’s information copy. “Parents are also encouraged to send chocolate chip cookies to share with tour personnel.” Participants will receive mail when they come out of the mountains…no mail delivery in mountains.
• You are encouraged to send postcards from the backcountry: your family will appreciate hearing from you.
• Each crew should take at least (2) combination locks to put on crew lockers while on the trail. Be sure to give the Philmont Administration Office a key or combination.
• While in basecamp, you must be in either your Class A or B uniform.
• Please attend the religious service of your faith at base camp, a Scout is reverent.
• Opening campfire is mandatory to get your patch.
• The camp director has threatened to remove crews for ordering pizza on the trail; please be aware.
The extra spending money for pop, snacks, souvenirs, etc. is up to the individual Scout and parents. There are many gift shops on the trip including the Philmont Tooth of Time Traders. We can inform you that the average amount spent at the Philmont Base Camp trading post is about $100.00 per Scout. An additional $20 - $30 may be spent at the backcountry trading posts. Also, on the trip out and back, Scouts may spend $100.00 on drinks, snacks, pizza, and gift shops. Please review the Philmont Trading Post catalogue given to your unit. We cannot tell you the total amount of money you should send with your son or daughter.
• You may take travelers checks if you like. Most places will cash them with proper ID.
• All extra money not being taken on the trail will be locked up by the adult crew advisor in the Philmont Business Office safe, in a sealed crew envelope.