You are hereContingent Travel Rules / After Your Trek
After Your Trek
AFTER YOUR TREK WHILE AT BASE CAMP
• PHONE HOME
• After you return your gear and shower you may have time to catch a bus to town for pizza and shopping. Bus’s leave camp routinely for a nominal fee usually around $2.00. Crews must travel together. There is a steak house in town, please decide as a crew if you are going so participants bring enough money.
• Check the mailroom.
• Try and off load your extra fuel to a trail bound crew, you cannot take fuel on the train.
• There are several restaurants and quaint gift shops in town; these establishments are not part of your contingent fee, so you are on your own. There is a great burrito shack, pizza and several sit down establishments.
• Visit the museums at base camp.
• Wash your dirty trail clothes, please.
• You may have time prior to leaving the next day to return to town in the morning or early afternoon.
• Pay close attention to the departure times both for the transport to town and the transport to the AMTRAK station.
• Prior to re-boarding the train, the bus driver who transports the group to the AMTRAK station in Raton, will stop at a grocery store where you can purchase snacks and drinks for the ride home, at your own expense.
• Please be sure to shower and wear clean clothes for the train ride home, this may sound obvious but AMTRAK has had complaints that some crews are filthy, smelly and unclean when returning home. A Scout is clean!
• You may wear comfortable shoes, not boots, if you wish for the return trip.
• If the contingent group agrees by vote, you may wear your crew class B shirt with Scout pants during the return train ride. All members in each crew must wear the same crew shirt or class “A” if not the same. It’s all or none no exceptions. However, if you tour Chicago you must be in your class “A”.
• Snacks that are shared are SHARED! Do not take advantage of others by selling your gum, candy, chips, ect. You will have created life long friendships, don’t ruin them for the cost of a bag of chips.